The area around town presents numerous sites dating back to the Bronze Age. A Roman plaque preserved in the Town Hall is a clear sign of the presence here of the Latin civilization. Paolo Diacono, Lombard historian, mentions San Martino Gusnago in his work, an ancient village which is part of the town area. In 1277 Ceresara, already surrounded by walls and a moat, was destroyed during the wars between Mantua and the Este Family. Rebuilt, it was the residence of the Counts of Ceresara and later of the Vicar of the Lords of Mantua. With the fall of the Gonzaga, in the 18th century, the Habsburg Empire decided to demolish the castle. In the 19th Century, during the Risorgimento, the town lived the bloody battles that took place in the Lands of Upper Mantua.